Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stuck

We arrived at the LSA Airforce Camp in Kuwait at around 1600 on Thursday, the 24th. The bus was crowded and I had the lovely job of doing baggage detail. (Baggage Detail - Loading or unloading any luggage the unit may be moving with.) Considering that each soldier had two duffle bags with them for the flight, that made a lot of green sacks to be tossed into the back of an 18 wheeler.
When we made it to the Camp we unloaded the bags and stacked them all nice and neat on a pallet for transportation. Then it was just sitting around time until our flight came. As I was waiting I noticed a C130 coming in for landing, and just as it was about to touch down it gunned the engines again and took right back off without even touching the runway.

Turns out, that was supposed to be our flight.

After we found out our plane hadn't landed and our flight was delayed, the higher ups decided to split the group down the middle to fit the first half on another flight, then the second half on a later one. The first half got to leave that night. The second half? Well that's me and about 80 other joes. We've been stuck on this base since Thursday (It's technically Sunday now) and have had at least 7 canceled flights that woulda-shoulda-coulda been ours.

There isn't a whole lot to do here. There's free internet, but it's limited and you have to wait in line. The Camp has a couple of fast food restaurants, like Micky D's and KFC. But I'm not about to spend my money on that when I can go pick up a free meal from the DFAC (Dining FACility) pretty much whenever I want. It seems to be perpetually open, which is a concept I'm not familiar with, but happy to have access to.

Luckily, those of us that are here don't much care for propriety and taking each situation to it's fullest extent of useless labor. The two E-6s that are in charge of us call us up for formations when there's something new going on, but even then it's usually just the E-5s that get called up to pass the info down to us. (E-5 is Sergeant in the US Army and E-6 is Staff Sergeant -but we still call them sergeant, or "sau'n" which is some kind of hick version of saying it with the least amount of sillybles possible.)

I've been spending my time in the computer lab, at the DFAC or at the Movie Theater on camp. (It's free and doesn't show "new" new movies, just recent releases. Saw one yesterday called "City Island" which was rather entertaining. Other than that I'm sleeping or listening to my iPod. Speaking of which, I put a few of the songs I've been listening to recently at the bottom. Check 'em out if you feel like it.

So it looks like I'll be here until at least Monday. Could be here until next Thursday for all I know, though. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The Playlist:
Starlight - Muse
Terrible Lie - Nine Inch Nails
Send Her My Love - Journey
Float - Flogging Molly
Firefly - Breaking Benjamin
Riot - Three Days Grace
Teardrop - Massive Attack


Love and miss you all,
-RT

3 comments:

  1. Starlight - MUSE...one of my favorites, and I think of you everytime I listen to it because you introduced me to MUSE and that song. :)
    Love you and miss you, and we are keeping you in our prayers!

    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The updates are good reading, will stay tuned....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Massive Attack, that's some chill music, brother. Breathe on...

    ReplyDelete