It's remained 60 degrees farenheit around here without fluctuating much past that unless at night. The wind picks up these flurries of the top layer of dust in the sand. All the dust will briefly fly up into our eyes as we walk from one place to another on post. Camp Beauhring is large for foot-traffic. There's a bus system but I don't like waiting around so I barely ever use it. If I had to guess, I'd say the distance between my tent and the dining facility is around a half mile. Add a quarter mile more to that for anything else I have to walk to. I'm covering at least four miles a day, if not double that, just from walking to my destinations. More than a little ridiculous.
Training has died down a bit, but not before we practiced pricking each other with IV needles in places other than the crook of the arm. When you package up an injured soldier, you generally cross their arms over their chest. So, to prevent bending the catheder we use to administer fluids to the patient, we have to put the needle in the forearm, top of the hand, or bottom of the forearm. Not a pleasant experience when the soldier who pricks you chases your vein around for a good thirty seconds. Not to mention the squeamish females that hate the sight of needles, let alone the sight of blood, and nearly drain our platoon sergeant who genrously volunteered to get poked by a particularly frightened female. She didn't pinch the vien after she advanced the catheder and the sergeant's shirt and part of his trousers were soaked. I think someone even got it on video. It was nothing to laugh at, but we were all hysterical. The poor female was a smidge on the traumatized side, I think. Who wouldn't be after that kind of experience?
I've been doing a good job about taking care of myself since I've been here. Proper hygiene, taking care of laundry, feeding myself appropriately, keeping myself physically fit, etc. I've gained four pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but it definitely shows in my physique. My 40 lb goal is only 36 more lbs away.
Going to try my first phone call to a country other than the USA tonight. Trying to get a hold of a friend. Should be interesting to see if I succeed. I'm not sure if my phone card's minutes sustain calls to other countries, but I guess we'll find out.
Keep Smiling.
-RT
IV training sounds exciting. LOL From personal experience, IVs, particularly on the top of the hand, are rather unpleasant. It's good that they are training you all to do that properly, because not knowing how means a lot of unecessary discomfort for the person who is supposed to be helped. :) Love and miss you!
ReplyDeleteStay smiling, Ryland, and congrats on the 6 lbs gained.